Please refer to the appropriate handbook for the language requirements for your program.
TST LANGUAGE EXAMINATIONS
One way of meeting a language requirement for an Advanced Degree program is to write and pass an examination set up by the Advanced Degree Office. Language exams in French, German, Italian, Spanish, Greek, Hebrew and Latin are offered two times per year, in September and January. A passing grade for the exams is 70% (in the Biblical department, the departmental and expertise exams are administered by the department, and have higher exam grade requirements. Please see the program handbook for more information).
Friday, January 10, 2014, 10:00am
Location: TST Building
- $30.00 fee per exam is payable by personal cheque or online through PayPal by. Payment must be received by Tuesday, January 7, 2014. Click here for payment information.
- Each examination will have a time limit of one and a half (1.5) hours.
- Two examinations may be taken (two different languages). The 2nd examination begins at 11:15am.
- You may use a bilingual lexicon (e.g., French-English, Greek-English), except in the case of proficiency exams in Greek or Hebrew (see #8 below). In addition, if your first language is something other than English, you are allowed to use a second lexicon (English / your first language). You need to bring your own lexicon(s). No other aids (including computerized lexicons) are allowed.
- Please arrive on time and bring your own paper and pen
- Competency exams will be held in all seven languages. Proficiency exams (for students entering the Biblical Department) will be held in Hebrew and Greek. See the flyer below for preparation guidelines.
Sample exams are available by email. Please email if you have any questions about the exam process:email@example.com or phone 416-978-4050.
NOTE: Greek and Hebrew requirements can also be met by passing TST Greek and Hebrew courses. See the Course Catalogue for course offerings.
TST LANGUAGE PROGRAM
LATIN: cancelled for 2013-14. Will be offered Summer 2014 (conditional on enrolment).
FRENCH: Sept. 19 - April 24. Thursdays, 11:00 am-1:00 pm
GERMAN: Sept. 23 - April 21. Mondays, 6:30-8:30 pm
Registration deadline: Monday, September 9, 2013 (fill out form below)
Fee: $825, payable by certified cheque or VISA only
TST language courses (French, Latin and German) are for graduate students in Theological, Historical, Pastoral or Biblical Studies or related disciplines who require reading knowledge in a research language. Students learn the fundamentals of grammar and vocabulary required for translation and reading comprehension. All courses are conducted in English, and assume no previous knowledge in each language.
These courses fulfill TST’s advanced degree admission and program language requirements. Courses are non-credit and not accessed on ROSI. Course offerings are subject to minimum enrolment.
Courses will be held at the TST Building, 47 Queen’s Park Cr. E. (at St. Joseph St.)
For more information and to register, please fill out the registration form (pdf below). Questions? Call: 416-978-4050 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.